Friday 5 August 2022

Book Review - Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen


With this, completing 9 of 339 from The Rory Gilmore Reading List.


5/5 stars

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife."

Thereby beginning my review with one of my favorite opening lines I've read till now. If you're a classic romance lover, this is the one you should be picking first. Well, let's just say, you should read Pride and Prejudice at least once in your life.

I remember the time when I'd decided to read Pride and Prejudice, and soon my off campus interviews were about to begin. In an interview with the HR, when I said reading books as my hobby, the interviewer asked me what I was currently reading, and what was my feeling about it so far. As I was only halfway through with the novel, I explained to her my feeling about the story at that time. After that I got busy with my job and everything. Let's just say, life. I put down Pride and Prejudice which never got picked up until this time.

I'm so mesmerized by Jane Austen that I feel myself unqualified to write a review of this book. I won't attempt. I can't even. So, I'll just talk about my feelings, more like rambling about it. I don't read a lot of romance. I watch a lot of them, I love to watch them, just not read if that makes sense. That's just me. Also, Pride and Prejudice is the only romance that I loved reading as well as watching equally. Having said that, I also want to state that I'll reread Pride and Prejudice n number of times. It has become a favorite, and I LOVE this book.

Also, this review will have repetitive reread updates in here, in future.

“I could easily forgive his pride, if he had not mortified mine.”

“We all know him to be a proud, unpleasant sort of man; but this would be nothing if you really liked him.”

“Till this moment I never knew myself.”

“My good opinion once lost, is lost forever.”

It's so beautifully and delicately written. Now I know why Jane Austen is being worshipped in the field of literature. My god! I'm going to read all of her novels. I will. I have to. I must. We are so lucky to be blessed with her novels.

I can see everyone today being obsessed with the 'Enemies to Lovers' trope. Now that I've read Pride and Prejudice, I can say that for certain that Elizabeth and Darcy invented this trope.

If you're looking to get your toes dipped into the works of Jane Austen, or classics for that matter in general, I believe Pride and Prejudice is the place to start. It's soft, subtle, and gentle. Those 407 pages are everything you need. Trust me.

Review Posted: 05 August 2022.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts